Candiace Goes to Egypt

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

...hanging in there.

Showers, baths, central heating, paper towels, a functioning washer, cleaner air, water and streets would all be lovely things to experience on a daily basis.

Or monthly....

I miss my home with a greater intensity than I imagined or expected. It comes in waves daily.. the least noticeable or completely diminished when I am with my tutors (Khedega & Seid Mohammad). They are wonderful, wonderful people. Today I cried in class because I kept getting a sentence wrong (well, it was the needle...). It was something like, "We were late because we went to the bank to get money." (A true story.) My two tutors and A. were all telling me what to do and I got so confused that I had no idea what to say. I was a bit overwhelmed and had some emotions spill over.. :-\ Khedega, my female tutor, started to cry because I was! Hahaha.. awww.. they really are my home away from home.

It's been very challenging to get the things we need, such as the internet and medicine. Alex and I are hoping to have an internet connection at our apartment by Thursday, but the likelihood of that is low. It costs 2 Egyptian pounds an hour to go to the internet cafe in our neighborhood (where I'm at now), which is approximately 43 cents/hour. It adds on though, let me tell you...

I have so much to say, but when I sit down my thoughts evaporate and I'm left just an exhausted, busy woman. I want to email everyone I know individually but I honestly do not have the time. It takes forever to get anywhere, to do anything! Just getting soy milk (to my delight!) would take 40 minutes... walk to the store 15 min. away, get the milk, walk back. Washing my clothes takes HOURS, and then drying them on the line takes days! (It's really cold here right now.) I get at least 10-20 new words a day which I'm expected to memorize, so after my 5 hours at the language center I have to study for at least 3. Whew.

Speaking of time, I need to go. I have to pick up a loaf of hobz (bread) at the fern (bakery) on my way to elbait (the house). Then, I have to pick up some broccoli, bananas and potatoes (I don't know those words yet!) from the vegetable market... A. and I are having rice with steamed broccoli & carrots and mashed potatoes for dinner.

Ha, then we'll study until our eyes fall out. Yay! Lol.


Know you're missed & loved dearly.

Always,
Candiace

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger beanne said...

You're such a trooper, C. I still wish I could have gone with you!
Love,
Jeanne

January 30, 2008 at 5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home