Candiace Goes to Egypt

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Chillin in Medinat Nasr!



Oh, Egypt, dear Egypt. I never thought I would be here, but alas, here I am. It's been really hard, and while I knew it would be the hardest situation I've deliberately put myself in, it's hard living it. "I don't understand, I'm sorry!" passes through my lips more times than I wish to admit... but I'm learning.

Today was my second day of class at the language center. I have two tutors that I share with A.; we each get individual time with each tutor for two hours, switch tutors for two hours then have conversation all together for the last hour. It's been quite effective, I've learned almost 20 words within the last two days. Wayyyy better already than in the states.

I've been out and about between Nasr City and Downtown Cairo since I've been here. The trip is terrible when taking a cab because the exhaust fills the car, giving A. and me headaches. Ha, not only that, but the traffic is absolutely INSANE! Traffic laws DO NOT EXIST as far as I know. People get off moving buses into moving traffic. Women holding hands with children, sandwiched between cars at an intersection. While taking a taxi from my school to City Stars Mall we got rear ended. The driver of the taxi and driver of the offending car got out, assessed the damage, had a one minute heated conversation and then went their separate ways. No insurance, no police, no exchange of money or information at all. With all cars being dented, I'm surprised I haven't been in an accident sooner.

As far as my safety, one need not worry. Serious crimes are very very rare, which surprises me because of Egypt's 20% unemployment rate. What do these people do? How do they live? Petty theft isn't unheard of, but I've never felt so safe in my life. Houston - no. Dallas - no. California - yeah right. Anywhere in America, people are always watching their backs. I'm an obvious foreigner with no real language abilities and no one has gotten close to messing with me. I don't expect anyone to, but I'm still going to keep an eye out.

As much as it shames me to say & do, I can not claim myself as American here. People change when I say it, bringing up Bush and eying me a bit differently. I don't want to come across someone who is potentially violent and have them take out their frustration on me about a government even I don't support! So, A. is from Puerto Rico and I'm from Australia... it's just the way it has to be. Our black friend from the states, D., just says he's from Africa. I didn't think it would work because Australian, Puerto Rican and Sudanese accents are different, but they obviously don't notice!

Well, there is much to write about but it's late and our curfew is 12am. A. and I live in a 'family building' and should be in by 10pm, but we're American women and we mostly do what we want! ....12am is pushing it a bit, though. All is well! Even in this cafe drinking our Lebanese coffee and Egyptian tea, there are many, many women around us having a good time.

Well, I'll write much more soon!

Love,
Candiace <3

2 Comments:

Blogger Skew said...

have you decorated your apartment yet? i wonder what kinds of things you're going to put up there, if it will be cool local stuff or a big pinup of yours truly!

it's hard enough to watch some of the drivers here in the states. i wonder if i'd yell and babble as incoherently there as i do here o,O

January 25, 2008 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Scientocentric Klutz said...

OMG just reading ure blog brought back feelings of nostalgia.Welcome to the African world and now you will understand better how africans, think, we might be considered third world lacking the basic necessities but we enjoy life and embrace it in ways that no one other than us can comprehend.I look forward to following ure blog as u take ure journey, hang on there and HAVE FUN TO THE UTMOST?!!!!!!MISS UUUUU

January 27, 2008 at 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home